RIVERTON, Wyo. — Looking for a delicious recipe for your next get together or holiday meal? Try curing and smoking a venison ham. While this recipe takes a bit of time, it is well worth the effort as the results are unlike any venison you have ever tried. It will quickly become a favorite for all who have the opportunity to indulge in this delicacy.
The ingredients are few, it is just time and attention to detail that are important in the recipe.
3 to 4 lb. boneless venison hindquarter roast
Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure Kit
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup maple syrup
- Place the venison in a non-metallic bowl and follow the instructions included with the Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure Kit. Weigh your venison to determine exactly how much cure is required.
- Apply the cure to the venison, making sure it’s completely covered.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a tight fitting lid and refrigerate for 10 days. (Roasts over 4 lbs. refrigerate for 12 days,) Turn the roast over after 6 days.
- After the brining process is complete, carefully rinse all the cure off the venison.
- Immerse the venison in a water bath for 2 hours.
- Rinse the venison one more time to make sure every last bit of cure has been removed.
- Pat the venison dry and let stand at room temperature while you heat your pellet grill or smoker to 180°F degrees.
- Mix together the brown sugar and maple syrup in a bowl. It will be a thick liquid mix that will be used to glaze the ham during the smoking process.
- Once the temperature of 180°F has been reached, place the venison on the grill.
- Apply the glaze every 30 minutes. Make sure to turn the ham a couple times during the smoking process so you can cover the entire ham with glaze.
- Continue cooking until the internal temperature of the ham reaches 145F degrees, then remove it from smoker.
- Let your venison ham rest at least 30 min before slicing.
Note: Use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal cooking temperature has reached 145°F.
For additional Hi Mountain Seasonings recipes visit www.himtnjerky.com.
Hi Mountain’s entire line of products, cooking tips, instructional videos and recipes are also available at www.himtnjerky.com. Hi Mountain products also can be found at high-end sporting-goods stores, farm-and-ranch stores and many local grocery stores.
Located in the heart of Wyoming, Hi Mountain Seasonings was founded in 1991. It is the premier manufacturer of kits for homemade jerky and sausage. Hi Mountain Seasonings has successfully captured distinct, traditional Western flavors in its jerky cure & seasonings, Western-style seasonings, bacon cures and other products that make up the unique line of gourmet Western seasonings. For additional information, write: Hi Mountain Seasonings, 1000 College View Drive, Riverton, WY 82501; call toll-free 1-800-829-2285; or visit the company website at www.himtnjerky.com.
# # #