American Outdoor Brands was forged in innovation and the desire to produce products that support the everyday shooter, hunter, defender, and outdoorsman. AOB is coveted for its leading innovative product development capabilities and processes, and is looking to expand its team of talented and driven product developers. The Senior Product Designer is one of the most critical contributors within the Product Engineering department, responsible for optimizing mechanical design, manufacturability, performance, structural rigidity and robustness, and functionality across an entire line of new products with focus on shooting, hunting, personal defense, and the outdoors. The Senior Product Designer plays a critical role working closely with and/or supervising Electrical Engineers, Product Engineers, and Product Designers on engineering projects, while at the same time taking ownership and leading projects that are focal on performance, functionality, material selection, and advanced mechanical design. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, self-motivation, and experience with hunting, shooting, and outdoor accessories.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage all aspects of design and development for products within a focal brand lane, with minimal guidance, including:
o Critical Engineering Elements
§ Optimal Performance
§ Optimal Functionality
§ Mechanical Design
§ Cost Effective Design
o Improvements and problem resolution
o Documentation standards and records (product specs)
o Direct responsibility and accountability for:
§ Product testing
§ Product verification and validation
§ Failure mode analysis
§ Root cause analysis
• Collaborate with and/or supervise Product Engineer(s) and Product Designer(s) within a focal brand lane
• Supervising a team of direct reports, leading the charge and taking on accountability for Product development, within a focal brand lane
• Lead and manage the engineering on projects that are focal on performance and which require advanced mechanical design, material selection, and design analysis
• Collaborate with Electrical Engineer(s) on projects requiring PCB board design, software development, app development, and etc…
• Collaborate with Liaison Engineers on product requirements, sourcing requirements, supplier manufacturing and quality requirements, costing and BOM requirements, functionality and durability requirements, and etc...
• Collaborate with Brand Managers on product requirements and key features, new product category and expansion opportunities, and overall Brand Lane direction, cohesion, and growth strategy
• Collaborate with sales on key features, target customers and applications, competitive landscape analysis and advantages, retail needs and opportunities, and etc…
• Collaborate with Suppliers and Manufacturers on optimal design for manufacture, cost reduction measures, key functionality and performance requirements, and supply chain solidarity
• Design of cutting-edge retail packaging, while considering retail footprint requirements and limitations, shipping and distribution durability and feasibility, marketability, and brand lane cohesion
• Rapid prototyping capabilities and proficiency, including but not limited to 3D printing, CNC machining, sourcing of standard components, improvisation, and etc.
• Strong presentation and communication skills, and the ability to lead brainstorming, design review, product brief, and other types of meetings
• Strong organization skills, multi-tasking capabilities, and active priority management skills
• Adhere to and improve the company’s New Product Introduction Process (NPI)
• Act as Project Champion for NPI projects including cost, quality, schedule, compliance, etc. while maximizing the quality and output of the NPI process
• Responsible for improving costs, quality, and design of existing products
• Collaborate with purchasing, marketing, and supply base in relation to NPI
• Build and maintain professional, constructive working relationships with other departments and with suppliers
• Resolve quality and customer support issues by lending expertise to respective departments
• Work safely as well as identify and report any safety hazards immediately
• Maintain good housekeeping in personal area and all common areas
• Other responsibilities as assigned
NOTE: This list presents only the principal duties of the position and is not intended to be comprehensive. The duties and responsibilities listed above may be changed or supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Education and Experience:
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Engineering, or Equivalent preferred
• Experience: 10+ years’ experience, 8+ years’ experience preferred
• Supervisor or Management experience preferred
• Pro Engineer/CAD skills
• Microsoft Office
• Experience designing consumer products, preferably in the shooting, hunting, personal defense, or outdoor industry
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Firearms industry experience desired
Competencies and Skills: Physical Demands:
• Manage and prioritize time and resources
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Project management
• Type accurately
• Excellent written and oral communication.
• Attentive to detail.
• Good organizational skills
• General office equipment
• Judgment and problem solving skills based on advanced or technical concepts
• Regular and predictable attendance is required.
• Some work is required in "off-hours" for business meetings/company events.
• Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time in front of a computer.
• Ability to move about facility on regular basis to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy equipment (up to 50 lbs. unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking.
• Visual and hearing acuity.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment and Personal Protective Equipment:
General office environment, with some exposure to plant environment, with fork lift and other general hazards.
Exposure to the outdoors, unstable ground, and some climbing.