The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, a non-profit, wildlife habitat conservation organization, seeks a performance-motivated team player with strong interpersonal skills to engage and manage volunteer activities, event fundraising and mission granting program oversight in Western Pennsylvania. BS/equivalent degree and five years of experience in business, fundraising and volunteer management required. Pro-hunting values are critical. Extensive weekday and weekend travel required. To apply, email a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled. RMEF is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Reports to: Director of Field Operations
Department: Field Operations
Summary: Field Operations is the primary fundraising structure of the RMEF. Regional directors organize local volunteer chapters to hold fundraising events, principally banquets and assist in major gift development activities to support the continued operation of RMEF and finance elk and wildlife conservation projects.
In addition to event-related fundraising, regional directors should work with development staff to identify, cultivate and solicit potential large donations from qualified donors and prospects.
Regional directors in designated elk states serve as the chair of their respective state project advisory committee from which conservation project recommendations are developed for RMEF funding.
1. Form RMEF fundraising chapter committees comprised of local volunteers.
2. Organize, guide and assist chapter committees with the planning, organization and execution of successful fundraising events, including big game banquets, to meet annual goals and objectives.
3. Actively utilize key RMEF volunteers, including regional, state and district chairs, to assist in the identification and formation of new chapters and planning and execution of fundraising events.
4. Utilize regional and state chairs to ensure volunteer compliance with RMEF operating and financial policies and reporting procedures.
5. Personally solicit and or work with development staff to secure large donations in addition to banquet revenues.
6. Prepare annual fundraising income projections and operating expense budget proposals.
7. Maintain liaison and professional visibility with state wildlife agencies, federal wildlife and land management agencies, university wildlife departments and non-governmental conservation organizations, sportsmen’s groups and outfitter/guide associations within assigned region.
8. Serve as chair of RMEF state project advisory committee within assigned region to coordinate the recommendation of specific conservation projects for RMEF funding.
- Promote the goals, objectives and accomplishments of RMEF through the media and public speaking engagements, as assigned.
10. Represent the RMEF at various meetings, functions and public relations opportunities, as assigned.
11. Submit news items concerning RMEF activities to the appropriate RMEF communications staff.
12. Answer correspondence about RMEF activities and programs within assigned region.
13. Maintain all records and submit reports as required by the director of field operations.
14. As a regional director, you are responsible for compliance with state non-profit and charitable fundraising laws and requirements, including but not limited to, raffles, drawings, games, or other fundraising situations.
15. Keep the director of field operations fully informed on all pertinent matters within assigned region.
16. Regional director will be responsible for working with key volunteers in establishing a state leadership team and together formulating and following a state action plan annually, as well as conducting an annual volunteer training workshop and recognition program. The regional director will serve on the state leadership Team and oversee the solicitation, review and recommendation for approval process of the state grant program.
Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors or equivalent degree in Business, Marketing, Fundraising, Communications or related field preferred, and minimum of five years additional experience required. Prior experience working with volunteers and fundraising preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge and support of the RMEF’s mission, goals, organizational structure and activities, including biological, social and political elements that shape them, and the ability to promote them. Inclusive is an understanding about hunting and the key role is plays in relation to wildlife management and conservation.
2. Must possess excellent people skills and be able to develop effective relationships with a wide variety of individuals.
3. Must be a self-starter with excellent organizational skills and be able to direct and motivate volunteers.
4. Must be able to identify future chapter opportunities and recruit volunteers to capitalize on these opportunities to grow the revenue and volunteer base.
5. Must be able to understand and determine annual fundraising income projections and operating expense budgets.
6. Must be able to work cooperatively with wildlife and land management professionals in government agencies and non-governmental entities.
- Must be proficient in the use of office computer programs including word processors and spreadsheets.
8. Must have excellent communication skills both verbally and written. Must be able to speak to large groups of people.
- Must have the ability to work independently without frequent, direct supervision and to remain focused on goals and objectives while also supporting the regional team when needed.
- Must have the ability to work in and foster a team-oriented environment.
11. Must have the ability to resolve conflict and be flexible with changing priorities, and able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
Must be able to collaborate with development staff for helping to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward large donations from major gift donors and prospects.
Extensive travel is required on weekdays and weekends. Must also be able to work any day of the week, including weekends. Must be able to work late at night (often until after midnight). Must be capable of sitting for long periods in a car or airplane. Must be able to work at a computer terminal for extended periods, stand for intervals of 2-6 hours and lift heavy items up to 50 lbs.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of the job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.