With the sound of the starting whistle, hundreds of arrows zipped toward their targets at the annual National Archery in the Schools (NASP) State Championship held in Montgomery, Ala., on Friday, April 7. Since the targets were tallied and the trophies awarded on Friday, 35 youth archery teams qualified to attend the NASP National Championship on May 11-13, 2017, in Louisville, Ky. Twenty-nine of those teams and four individual archers have registered to attend the national competition.
Alabama's archery program is coordinated by the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (ADCNR) through partnerships with various schools and supporting organizations in the state. Alabama NASP is an affiliate of the national program and promotes discipline, self-esteem, and life skills for students in grades 4-12.
Marisa Futral, NASP coordinator for the ADCNR Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division (WFF), said the state championship is the culmination of nine regional qualifying events.
"Thousands of archers competed in regional qualifying tournaments for a chance to draw their bows in the state championship," Futral said. "I'm thrilled to see so many youth excited about archery and hope they continue in the sport."
Top Scores in the 2017 NASP State Championship:
TOP OVERALL INDIVIDUALS
FEMALE: Abigail Turner, Buckhorn Middle School, New Market, Ala. (293 of a possible 300 points)
MALE: Robert Morgan, St. Paul's Episcopal High School, Mobile, Ala. (297 of a possible 300 points)
HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION
1. Alma Bryant High, Irvington, Ala.
2. Buckhorn High, New Market, Ala.
3. Ashville High, Ashville, Ala.
MIDDLE SCHOOL DIVISION
1. Buckhorn Middle, New Market, Ala.
2. Cullman Middle, Cullman, Ala.
3. Grand Bay Middle, Grand Bay, Ala.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DIVISION
1. East Elementary, Cullman, Ala.
2. Dixon Elementary, Irvington, Ala.
3. Breitling Elementary, Grand Bay, Ala.
INDIVIDUAL HIGH SCHOOL FEMALES
1. Gracie Cunningham, Ashville High
2. Caleigh Kitchens, Arab High
3. Brigette Rollins, Good Hope High
INDIVIDUAL HIGH SCHOOL MALES
1. Robert Morgan, St. Paul's Episcopal High
2. Justin Liveoak, Chilton County High
3. James Ladd, Prattville High
INDIVIDUAL MIDDLE SCHOOL FEMALES
1. Abigail Turner, Buckhorn Middle School
2. Kelleigh Entrekin, Grand Bay Middle
3. Sophia Sharp, Arab Middle
INDIVIDUAL MIDDLE SCHOOL MALES
1. Samson Womer, Robertsdale Middle
2. Jackson Miner, Cullman Middle School
3. Logan Koger, Madison County Elementary
INDIVIDUAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL FEMALES
1. Lily Steiner, Dixon Elementary
2. Kaitlyn Hastings, Breitling Elementary
3. Mia Cornelson, Dixon Elementary
INDIVIDUAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL MALES
1. Ian Crosswhite, Dixon Elementary
2. Colby Lewis, Dixon Elementary
3. Kase Nixon, East Elementary
Complete results for the 2017 NASP Alabama State Championship are available at www.nasptournaments.org
. To view photos from the event, visit Outdoor Alabama's Flickr at www.flickr.com/photos/outdooralabama
NASP State Championship registration fees are kept low for participating schools through the generous sponsorships of the Alabama Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, Morrell Manufacturing, the Alabama Conservation Enforcement Officers Association, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and Academy Sports + Outdoors.
To learn more about Alabama NASP, contact WFF Hunter Education Coordinator Marisa Futral at 800-245-2740 or Marisa.Futral@dcnr.alabama.gov
The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources promotes wise stewardship, management and enjoyment of Alabama's natural resources through four divisions: Marine Resources, State Lands, State Parks, and Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. To learn more about ADCNR, visit www.outdooralabama.com