Washington, D.C. - Five federal initiatives have won Beacon Awards in 2018 from the Outdoor Recreation Roundtable (ORR) for outstanding successes in harnessing thepower of technology to improve public recreation experiences and federal recreation program management. Winners were selected from efforts of multiple federal agencies. The Beacon Awards were created in 2005 to encourage federal agencies’ experimentation with and use of new technologies and alternative communications channels to enhance the experiences of visitors to the nation’s public lands.
The recipients of ORR’s 2018 Beacon Awards were honored on Wednesday, May 30th,at a presentation at the U.S. Department of the Interior. The ceremony was moderated by Phil Ingrassia, ORR Treasurer and President of the RV Dealers Association; and Jim Kurth, Deputy Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Presentation of the 2018 Beacon Awards was livestreamed, and can be found here.
2018’s winners are:
- Peter Bonsall and Matt Robinson - National Park Service: National Trails System GIS Network
- Gabe DeAlessio - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Midwest Regional Office: Innovative Sign Inventory App
- Danielle Brigida - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service: Digital Strategy Manager
- U.S. Forest Service: USFS Mobile App
- NIC, Inc. and the National Park Service: Senior Pass Fulfillment
To read the full story, click here.